Monday, August 29, 2005

Birds of Prey 85

Yep, you know, spoilers and all that.


Aside from the Spoiler/Leslie stuff that's going, the biggest "issue" in the books I even remotely follow is the big last page reveal in the latest issue of BoP.

I have to admit, that I have deeply mixed feelings about it. Babs being in the wheelchair is so deeply iconic for her, I think that there is a risk of losing a great deal if they let her back onto "her feet" as it were. We've seen more of her grit and determination in her relearning to live her life, than we ever saw in her kicking around baddies (though I'd like to find the issues where Cormorant nearly killed her). She's not only learned to survive, but to thrive, and she's found herself a place in the world.

I'm not going to be preachy and say that she should stay there, as a "inspiration to all of those who have physical issues." That's really beside the point.

My deepest concern, is that if they do indeed get her out of her chair, that she doesn't suffer from Xavieritis. In other words, the never-ending stream of taking someone out of the chair, then putting them back, then taking them out, then putting them back. Whichever they decide, make it stick.

I'm willing to sit back and "enjoy the ride," the book has been good enough lately that I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

1 comment:

James Meeley said...

I myself am very concerned about taking her out of the chair.

I think the part of the reason of her being in it, is to show that just because you become physically disabled, doesn't mean your life is over, that you cannot make a way in the world for yourself, and, more to the point, you can still be a hero. That is very inspirational and if she is given the "miracle cure" that is now lost.

Being bound to the wheelchair has added a lot of dimension the Babs character. I'd hate to see that all loost, just because of shok value and a misguided belief that she needs to have her legs to be a worthwhile hero and character.