Sunday, June 04, 2017

What anime character do you fear?

Yesterday, I managed in my usual klutzy fashion to knock the DVD case for Crest of the Stars off my shelf.  Well, it popped open and disk 1 fell out.  I glanced at the disk and noticed that there was a scratch on the disk.  Well now, what do you do?  I threw it into the player to see if it would still work.

Where did that end? Well, I ended up mainlining all of Crest. (On to Banner!)  I'd forgotten just how much I love that series, and well, away we go.

In any case, I was talking about this last night to the guy who'd originally gotten me to watch Crest/Banner, and mentioned that I hadn't caught how intense Lafiel's death-glare is in Crest before.  Likely that's because I now know just how scary she can be from Banner 2, and can see the signs in her confrontation with Febdash.

Long story short, that brought up the question "What anime characters do you really not want to make mad at you?"  Honestly, that's a bit of an odd question.  There are lots and lots and lots of anime characters who have the power to just entirely wipe you off the face of the earth... yet there are fewer who have the ability to excite a level of existential dread "I'm doomed!"  The kind of enemy you will always be looking over your shoulder for, even if you think you've gotten away.

So, in any case, I have been thinking of the list, and here are some thoughts.  Now, this will simply be heroes and tweeners.  Of course, you know the villain is going to be out for your hide.

1) Lafiel: Crest/Banner of the Stars.

People who haven't seen Crest/Banner might not think of Lafiel as so scary. She's young, thin, almost waifish.  Surely someone who looks like this can't be dangerous:

 
She's honestly kind of adorable (and shows us why we call this show "Elves in Space")

On the other hand:



Urk!  Same series (Crest of the Stars) but that's what you get when you upset her.  Don't ever think of upsetting an Abh.  Just don't.

2) Roy Mustang (Full Metal Alchemist).  What do you get when you have a pyrokinetic who knows how to hold a grudge? (Spoilers here if you haven't seen FMAB)


He's perhaps the perfect example.  The man has a serious grudge, the power to back it up, and that enjoyment that comes from seeing his revenge done,

3) Shiroe (Log Horizon)

This one is a bit weird.  He's never killed anyone, and quite frankly, with the rules of the world, he can't. (Well, it's a trapped in a video game world, so anyone he does kill just gets rezzed.)  That said, he's called the Villain in Glasses for a reason.  He's usually at least 3 steps ahead of anyone, and doesn't much mind humiliating or breaking you in the process.  Utterly ruthless, but thankfully he's on the side of the angels.

Sadly, this vid is not the best Shiroe moment (I'd say that's when he creates the Round Table), but it's good.  Oh, Krusty gets an honorable mention.  In Log Horizon, always beware the people in glasses.  Always.



Maybe I'll put up some more as I think of them.

Remember, the idea isn't simply "the one who can kill you dead in a messy way."  We've got plenty of those from Kenshiro onward, but the ones who inspire that unholy fear that reaches into the depths of your lower colon.

(Honorable Mentions off the top of my head: Harlock, Emeraldas, Mirya Parino, Rally Cheyenne, Rally Vincent, Sylia Stingray.)

No comments: